Eyes are a precious asset. However, sometimes even the most health-conscious people need professional help keeping their eyes healthy and their vision properly focused. Board-certified ophthalmologist Stephen Wilmarth, MD, can discuss at-home eye care options and recommend a wide variety of in-office treatments to suit your needs.
Dr. Wilmarth has helped patients in and around Sacramento care for their eyes for over 35 years. Please call Wilmarth Eye and Laser Center today at 916-782-2111 to schedule a free vision consultation.
How You Can Care for Your Eyes
Like any other part of the body, an active, healthy lifestyle can be hugely beneficial to your eye health. Along with overall healthy habits like eating a good diet rich in vitamins and avoiding tobacco products, best practices for maintaining the health and function of your eyes include:
- Wear sunglasses when you’re outside to limit exposure to UV light
- If you frequently use a computer, look away and rest your eyes every half hour or so
- Wash your hands thoroughly before touching your eyes; if you wear contact lenses, be sure to store and clean them properly when you take them out
- Protect your eyes when playing sports or engaging in work activities that could result in injury to the eye
Maintaining a healthy weight is often critical to the health of your eyes and the entire body. Overweight individuals are at a much higher risk of developing diabetes. If left unchecked, diabetes can damage the retina, optic nerve, and other parts of the eye.
How Our Ophthalmologist Can Help
Sometimes healthy people who follow all of the above steps still need professional help correcting their vision and addressing issues affecting vision. During your initial consultation, Dr. Wilmarth and his eye care team will conduct screenings to test your eyes for conditions like:
If your vision isn’t quite clear enough, Dr. Wilmarth will recommend options for improving it. Though some patients are happy keeping their glasses or contacts, others might welcome permanent vision correction with advanced procedures such as:
- PRK (photorefractive keratectomy)
- Custom LASIK
- Monovision LASIK (often ideal for correcting loss of near vision due to presbyopia)
- Refractive lens exchange
- If you suffer from cataracts, removal of the murky lens and replacement with a premium intraocular lens
Each of these procedures takes a great deal of skill and experience to be performed successfully. Dr. Wilmarth is an MD and board-certified ophthalmologist who has over 35 years of experience correcting Sacramento patients’ vision with advanced techniques and the latest technology.
To learn more about eye health and correction options, please contact Wilmarth Eye and Laser Center by calling 916-782-2111 today to schedule your free eye care consultation. Dr. Wilmarth serves patients throughout the Greater Sacramento area, including Rocklin, Roseville, and Folsom.